Sometimes you just get a craving for something rich, decadent, and slightly bad-for-you. This is an amped-up healthier version of brownies that packs all the flavor and decadence you could want in a brownie. Plus there’s a peanut butter swirl!!
Obviously, my sweetie and I dug in before I got pictures – so good and very satisfying!
Peanut Butter Mocha Brownies (adapted from Healthy Food for Living)
cooking spray (like canola oil)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened, good quality cocoa
dash of salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet Starbuck Via/Nescafe instant coffee (or 1 teaspoon instant coffee)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 plus 1/8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 plus 1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or any flavored chips of your choice)
heaping tablespoon of organic peanut butter
1. Take an 8×8 glass pan and spray with canola oil and then dust with whole wheat flour (this will allow the brownies to release from the pan super easily). Set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk very briskly by hand together applesauce, oil, and sugar until light and slightly airy.
3. Add following ingredients one-by-one and whisk each in thoroughly: cocoa, salt, baking powder, coffee, extract, eggs.
4. Next fold in flour until just combined. Then fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into baking pan.
5. Melt heaping tablespoon of peanut butter in microwave until runny. Pour artfully over the batter, then take a knife and drag through the batter to create swirl between brownies and peanut butter.
6. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 9 medium sized brownies.
Let cool and cut into 9 squares. ENJOY! So tasty!